Skills development is the process of identifying your skill gaps and developing skills. It is important because your skills determine your ability to execute your plans with success.
Without the right skills you will only frustrate yourself, waste your time and spend a lot of time dealing with rudimentary issues caused by lack of knowledge or lack of skills as opposed to progressing in your goal. This struggle is unconstructive and does not help you move forward.
People neglect their skills development many a times and two main reason behind it are,
- People are often impressed by what others have accomplished without realizing what they went through to get there.
- People can be heavily self-critical. They look at how successful others are and conclude that we can never achieve the same.
Skills and knowledge development are the driving forces behind the financial growth and community development of any country. Skill building is a powerful tool to empower individuals and improve their social acceptance. It also become more imporatnt in the increasing pace of globalisation and technological changes provide both challenges that are taking place in the world.
Developing your skills through further training provides significant benefits including,
- Increase employment opportunities
- Increased career development opportunities
- Personal growth
- Increase your knowledge and understanding of your local industry
Despite being world’s youngest country in terms of demographic dividend, India has only 2% of the workforce skilled compared with 96% in South Korea, 45% in China, 50-55% in USA & 74% in Germany.The task of skill development has many challenges in India which include:
- Increasing capacity & capablity of existing system to ensure equitable access to all.
- Promoting lifelong learning, maintaining quality and relevance according to changing requirement particularly of emerging knowledge economy.
- Creating effective convergence between school education, various skill development efforts of government and between government and private sector initiative.
- Capacity building of institutions of planning, quality assurance and involvement of stake holders.
- Creating institutional mechanism for research development quality assurance, examinations and certification, affiliations and accrediation.
- Increasing participation of stakeholders, mobilizing adequate investment for financing skill development, attaining sustainability by strengthening physical and intellectual resources.
Skill training is an integral component of increasing efficiency & productivity for sound economic development of any economy. In India, it is till at a nascent stage. The demand for skilled manpower is huge and to cover this gap it is very pertinent to re-engineer the skill ecosystem. India is poised to standout as one of the skilled nations in coming years and it is time for higher education and skill training to exists in same space with seamless integration as part of curriculum. It is very important for the industry and academia to work together to generate focussed hands on candidates with right blend of learning and employability traits.